1. How long has FCS been in business? We have been in the community management business since 1997. We manage Common Interest Communities/Subdivision/PUD HOA’s, Condominium Associations and Office Condominium Associations.
2. Why should I choose an accredited management company with a certified AAMC designation? We use the education resources of the only national trade organization servicing the community association industry – CAI (Community Associations Institute). We are the only management company in Utah to receive the AAMC (Accredited Association Management Company) designation offered by CAI. And as such, we have demonstrated our commitment to providing the unique and diverse services community associations need. An AAMC ensures that our staff has the skills, experience, and integrity to help communities succeed. Our managers have advanced training and demonstrated commitment to the industry.
3. What is FCS’s Fidelity Bond Coverage? $500,000, the largest of any management company in Utah.
4. What are FCS’s collection policies? Collection policies are determined by your community’s governing documents and resolutions of the community’s board. We employ a Collections Manager to follow association mandated collection policies.
5. How does FCS manage its cash deposits? Deposits are batched by someone other than the employee who receives/inputs assessments. Expenses are entered by accounts payable staff; approved by the manager (and/or the board per the association’s governing documents/policy); printed by the Accounts Payable Supervisor; and all checks are signed by CEO Michael Johnson. Bank account reconciliation’s are done by a separate employee.
6. In case of an emergency or natural disaster, what would happen to my local FCS branch? We recommend communities read and implement suggestions found in CAI’s Disaster Management GAP Report. We use a redundant phone and computer server system for all of our offices. If our Draper office were destroyed for any reason, the Provo, Cedar City, or St. George offices could seamlessly pick up the pieces.
7. Will my community’s information be secure with FCS? FCS has invested several thousand dollars into the latest computer equipment and software, servers and power systems, and most importantly, FCS has a state-of-the-art data backup system. Our entire system is backed up nightly and the most recent backup is stored off-site in a secure environment.
Also, unlike other management companies, for added security we do not list all of our communities. If an owner wants to access their website they can access it directly or by typing in the name of their community in our Community Search box. Community websites require a user name and password for complete access.
8. Will FCS listen to my community’s needs? We are a full service management consulting company for Community Associations. After years of dealing with non-responsive property management companies as president of his own West Jordan HOA, Michael Johnson created an organization specializing in forming successful working relationships with Community Associations.
We are the undisputed leader in community association management and look forward to working with you as you make this very important decision.
9. Does FCS co-mingle funds? We do NOT co-mingle different association operating funds. Individual association audits are as required by association governing documents or policy. Third-party accountants are hired by the HOA and FCS works with the accountant.
10. How quickly can FCS start managing my community? We are able to begin managing any community with 24 hour’s notice provided we have a list of each home and owner (at a minimum).
11. How often will FCS inspect my community? Your Community Manager will inspect your community a minimum of one time per month.
12. How accessible is my FCS Community Manager? Your community is a 24 hours, 365 days a year operations; therefore those who manage your community must also be available 24 hours, 365 days a year. All of our Community Managers carry cell phones so they can be reached as needed. Newsletters and other correspondence will always list FCS phone numbers. Board Members are given home phone numbers for emergencies. All numbers include voice mail for those just wishing to leave a non-urgent message.
13. What kinds of services can FCS offer my community? See our list of services here.
14. How well can FCS handle delinquent accounts? We have been very successful with collections, finding that personal contact has solved many problems. This allows your management committee to resolve problems that perhaps they had been unaware of previously. One FCS employee is designated as a Collections Manager to monitor and coordinate delinquent account management. As needed, we will coordinate all collections of delinquencies, including:
- Billing Reminders
- Personal contact to determine problems and encourage prompt payments
- Notification of delinquencies
- Collection letter coordination
- Liening of units
- Legal filing coordination (includes small claims court) with legal consultant
- Coordination of foreclosure proceedings when applicable
15. Can FCS keep my accounts current and in good standing with vendors? Assuming the Association has funds available, we will pay all accounts payable Net 30 so the association pays no late fees or interest and remains in good standing with all vendors.
16. Will FCS provide timely financial reports? Monthly reports that are issued by the 15th day of each month include:
- Balance Sheet
- Delinquency Report
- Income Statement (Budget versus Actual) Report
- Transaction Details by Account
Extensive, detailed annual financial reports include:
- Itemized Breakdown of Expenses Paid by Annual Assessment Fee
- Annual Budget Overview
- Budget versus Actual Expenses
- Detailed Expenses by Accounts
- Detailed Expenses by Vendors
- Check Detail Report
- Owner Statements
- Check Register
Additionally, we will prepare at a reduced rate, an annual 1120 H tax return for each association and any necessary state required corporate reports.
17. Does FCS mark up invoicing from third-party vendors? All products we purchase for your association will be sold to you at cost.